Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My first day

I don't have pictures this time around, but tomorrow I will have video.

I started to work today. I need to update everyone on the work situation. I know I said I had a job at SmartStyles but it turns out I didn't. Without going into the particulars, I was forced to look for employment elsewhere. I spent all morning Friday looking for a place to work, focusing on local barber shops. That was a bust as there were no openings to be had. There were a few booth rent opportunities but nothing caught my fancy until I wandered into a little salon called Heads Up next to Hastings. The owner was very friendly and the booth rent price was very affordable. I thought about it all weekend and decided to get some more info from the owner on Monday. She was very helpful and the situation felt right. So I signed on and started today.

It was a bit hectic at first, simply because I had to make multiple trips to the supply shop as I kept forgetting things. But I did land a haircut and a perm today, which netted me a whopping $70. Not bad for three hours work. I even have several appointments lined up over the next few days. The best part was knowing that I wouldn't be working my butt off for a few dollars in tips. I was practically laughing with excitement when I realized how much I made today. I know that $70 isn't much but when you figure that it was only my first day, it was like I had won the lottery.

No comments: