Thursday, November 29, 2007

A bit early, ain't it?

For the last few days, I have been inundated at work with Christmas music. I realize that the season is fast approaching and for years retailers have pushed the public to begin their Christmas shopping starting as soon as you shovel that last piece of pumpkin pie in your mouth. But to start playing Christmas music over a week before December 1st is a bit much. With all of this Christmas cheer, I'm afraid that I'm going to be burned out by the time the actual day gets here. What's next, we start decorating our tree as the kids are eating their Halloween candy? I used to work at Hobby Lobby (an arts and crafts store) and I thought it an aberration when we would start putting up Christmas trees in July. But now it seems that beginning the season early is fast becoming the norm. And if the SPIRIT of Christmas was being exuded all year round, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. But more and more, Christmas is being pushed as a shopping holiday. You remember that old adage of not wearing white after Labor Day? Pretty soon it's going to be "Put up your Christmas decorations after Labor Day".

No comments: