Monday, November 5, 2007

Leaving

I'm getting ready to leave for my grandmother's funeral today. The funeral is scheduled for 10:30 Wednesday morning. My mother wanted my sister and I to come down early to help organize and box up my grandmother's things (my grandmother has a lot of things...knicknacks, quilts, 3 complete sets of china, one of which is approaching 100 years old). And since my grandmother lives in the backwoods of Oklahoma, I won't be able to check email or the blog for the next few days. So if you leave a comment or send an email, I apologize in advance for not being able to get back with you promptly. But go ahead and leave something anyway.

On a lighter note (and man, did I need something positive in my life), I was voted Student of the Month at school today. I think it was one of those things were no one thought I would get any votes and voted for me out of sympathy, only they didn't compare notes beforehand. Not that I'm saying I didn't deserve it or anything, but there is something of a subconscious bias regarding me and school. Now, I'm not saying this to be hateful toward my fellow students (most of whom I love dearly) nor am I making comments about them in any negative light. But as I'm in a distinct minority at school, being one of only two guys (the second guy started with the newest class), there is a gender barrier that lies just below the surface. I'm sure that most of the other students don't even realize it, but I have sensed it. Still, it's nice to be recognized for something. Not that the honor comes with much...I get to park my Jeep right in front of the school for the month and that's about it...oh yeah, and the groupies are nice too.

No comments: