Monday, March 10, 2008

Radio Play

I've been listening to more and more sporting events on the radio these days. It's been somewhat of a necessity since we dropped our cable months back (almost a year now that I think of it). I've listened to sports events on the radio before (most notably OSU games) but that was more to the fact that OSU football and basketball games don't get that much airtime on the TV. But since my only option to catch the game has become the radio, I've come to enjoy listening to the games.

I've often wondered what it would be like to live in a previous era. Not that I would want to because I couldn't live without the Internet. But when I listen to games over the radio, I get to relive a sense of what it was like for my grandparents to huddle around the radio of an afternoon or evening and be whisked away to a different locale, the radio announcer's voice an ethereal guide to events and places unseen. And listening to a game as opposed to watching it is more of an active participation because you have to use your mind to envision the action. When I hear that a pass is taken on the left wing and the ball handler posts up for a shot, I have to use my imagination to fill in the visuals. And honestly, it makes the action that much more appealing.

So treat yourself (and your family) to some radio. If nothing else, it will let you connect to a time in your grandparents lives when they weren't bedazzled by HD 51-inch plasma screens and surround sound entertainment.

No comments: