Thursday, October 4, 2007

My Sister's Hair







Here we have a series of pix showing my sister's hair. The first one is what her hair normally looks like, the second is what I termed her "flying nun look", and the third is the finished product. The story of how this came about follows.

My sister wanted me to do something to her hair. So she made an appointment to come in today. I actually had no clue what I was going to do with her hair, even with several days to think about it. My sister is more of the conservative type when it comes to hair color, usually limiting herself to some highlights. As such, I was stymied as to how I was going to do something different yet stay within a more conservative framework (and it was strictly a color job as my sister wanted to grow her hair out). It turned out that I shouldn't have worried so much (Still, it turned out to be just south of a nightmare).

I grabbed the color palette of available colors and my sister was immediately taken with the SoColor 7RC (a light red copper color). After some consultation with Brandi (one of my instructors), I started in with foiling some blond highlights before I added the color deposit. I mixed all of my colors to get them ready and began foiling. When I was about a third of the way through, Brandi came to me with an epiphany (not the good kind). Turns out that SoColor can do some very bad things to blond highlights (which my sister had previously gotten about two months ago). So, we had to go with a demi-permanent color, in this case, Color Sync. The only problem was the Color Sync palette doesn't have quite the same color spectrum as SoColor. So we had to match as close as possible to the 7RC (we finally came up with a mixture of 6RC and 6R...red copper and red...the numbers refer to the level of lightness or darkness of a particular color...as a general rule, the lower the number, the darker the color and vice versa).

Okay, everything was back on track and I was ready to go, right? HA! If only. So I finish my foiling but since I foil like old people fu...um, I can't use that analogy, too vulgar...okay, I'm slow at foiling. It took the better part of an hour to foil my sister's hair (in my defense, she has long hair) and the first foils were beginning to lift extremely high (her hair was turning very blond...not a bad thing, but if I didn't pick up the pace my sister's hair could melt). So, I got a volunteer to help put on the red color deposit. Problem number two arose when I noticed that the red color was bleeding onto the blond highlights (if left alone, the color bleed would have turned her hair pink). At this point, several instructors jumped in to help. It was like major surgery as there were 3 people working on my sister's hair. Crowded isn't even in it.

We finally get everything back under control and Brandi and I are working furiously to finish the deposit because my sister has had blond foils in part of her hair for the better part of an hour and a half (you really don't want to leave bleach on hair for more than 45 minutes at the most) and we still had to let the color deposit sit for at least 20 minutes. However, we managed to pull it all off with a fairly high degree of success, as you can see in the above pix. My sister likes her new hair color a lot (she treated me to lunch) but there is a bit of an adjustment period since this is radically different than what she is used to. Hopefully, her friends will like it too and I can get some regular clients lined up.

No comments: