Friday, October 5, 2007

A Real Ghostbuster



This is Susie, one of my instructors (I actually have a pic of her on my hard drive that I took today but she forbade me to use it, providing this one instead). I've found that my instructors are some of the most unique individuals I've ever known, both in their personalities and their hobbies (more on that later). To be honest, Susie intimidated me for the first few weeks of school. I've described her to others as a very stern aunt, the one that brooks no nonsense from those around her and will tweak your nose if you step out of line. Plus, she is the only person I know (other than myself) that can silence a person with a glance (she uses this facial expression that says, "You're about two seconds away from bodily harm"). But after I got to know her, Susie is great (in fact, all of my instructors are great. If you are every considering entering the field of cosmetology, it really would be in your best interest to move to Enid and enroll at EBC). She almost always helps me with rolling my perms (quick isn't even in it...this woman can almost roll a perm faster than I can section the hair for said perm) plus she's always giving me tips that help enhance my haircuts.

As I mentioned previously, my instructors are a varied group of people. Susie exemplifies this in a very interesting way: she's a ghost hunter. Maybe you've seen that TV show where a group of people descend upon a haunted mansion or graveyard with scads of electrical equipment to look for signs of the paranormal. Susie belongs to a local group here in Oklahoma that does that very thing. The other day I got to work the front desk (basically I was the receptionist) and we had a very long and in depth conversation about what she does and some of her experiences (I'm working on a supernatural themed story and I needed some information to round out the corners. She not only gave me enough information to round out the corners but she also inspired an idea for another story). Then, the next day, completely of her own initiative, she brought some pictures that she's taken on her ghost hunting expeditions. To be honest, there are some very weird, not easily explained things going on in these pictures...however, there is one picture (it is a shot of the door of the hotel room that Stephen King stayed in, inspiring him to write "The Shining") that is just plain frightening. I'll try to get that pic from her to post it here as I just can't explain it properly (I told Heather about the pic later that night and I got goose bumps recalling it). Really scary.

Anyhoo, if you are interested in learning more about ghost hunting, check out the Eerie Oklahoma website: http://www.eerieok.com

No comments: