Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Well, that was quick!

So, my re-emergence into the work place lasted about two whole days. I thought I would be able to manage school, work, and the gym and still have time for my family and myself (If you're wondering why I placed the gym on the same level as school and work, then you don't know me very well. I LOVE to work out. LOVE IT! Some people fish or play golf or whatever to relax. I lift weights).

Turns out I don't have the same energy I did 10 years ago. I was dead on my feet after my first day. After only 4 hours of work (plus 8 hours of school) I was TIRED! So tired, that I was asleep less than an hour after I got home. Saturday wasn't much better either. I was beginning to regret taking the job. I spent Sunday playing with the kids and thinking about the fact that I was going to be working for the next 6 days and not getting home until almost 10pm (actually it would be closer to midnight on days I work out). Then Heather got called back to the hospital Sunday night because they were short staffed. Which meant that she would need to sleep Monday evening instead of watching the kids. Her mother volunteered to watch them, but I just didn't feel right burdening with the children that much (they had already agreed to watch them on the nights that Heather was working, plus weekends). When I factored into the equation the fact that I would only see my children about 5 hours a week (for the next six months), I realized that I had made a mistake. Oh, I liked the job enough but not enough to miss out on the next 6 months of my family's life.

So I summoned my fortitude and told them that it would probably be in our mutual interest to part company (they were not happy, oh no, they weren't). It wasn't a decision that I made lightly. But it was just simply too much for me to not see my family but an hour each morning. And it's not as though our livelihood depended on me having that job. Oh, the extra money would have gone a long way but Heather has been approved to return to full time duty (she's been on limited hours since she hurt her back in April) and our parents have been graciously helping us financially. So it's back to the status quo, at least until school's out.

No comments: